“Why should you travel? Because you literally can. The world was yours the moment you entered it, you have the right to see every part of it.” - ME
“I don't have money” is the most overused excuse ever. You don’t need to be rich to travel, you’re probably reading this because you would like to in the first place. So it shouldn't be hard to be believe when I tell you that if you want it, it will happen, as long as you make your contributions of course.
For as long as I could remember I've wanted to travel. Growing up, my grandpa and I had the dream of visit Spain together. Every summer I'd fly to Mexico to visit my grandparents and we would joke about whether either of us were saving up money for our trip. I would tell my grandpa that I was and that within a year we should be ready to go. However, rough times came and we lost a loved one. Suddenly our travel plans became redundant and did not revisit the idea.
During high school I was discovering music, media, art, tumblr and Netflix. Ah, Netflix, I was constantly diving into all kinds of films, especially the artsy whimsical Sofia Cappola films and the "more like this" selection. I had an urge to have the same experience these characters had and I decided I wasn't going to live my life never knowing.
When I started my senior year of high school, my first real attempt at leaving the country suddenly became tangible. There was an english teacher that held a trip to some part of the world every year and "this year was my chance" I thought. In a way it could have been, if the universe was truly on my side. I signed up, given the $95 non refundable fee and all. But again, rough times came. My dad lost his primary job, which is what brought in most of the income and once again put my attempts on halt. I wasn't upset, – not totally at least– I completely understood, I mean I was starting University the following year and god knows how expensive that is.
I decided it wasn't my time and I would have to continue making happy memories and one day all the stars will align perfectly and the doors will open once again. I finished high school and started my freshman year of college. Boy, was I overwhelmed. I started off the bat in my major classes and I was working ALL the time – remember when we didn't post a lot?– I began getting the hang of school and I got a job in my design department. I was making money, but honestly everything went towards my school supplies and food. I wasn't really saving anything. I ended my first semester and towards the end of my second I learned that my favorite professor was planning a trip to EUROPE! I was so stoked! I attended the meetings and I discovered he actually had an agenda for this. Turns out he has friends in the business (designers) and was hoping to introduce those of us who went. EUROPE AND FUTURE CONNECTIONS HECK YEAH! I was sold and I really wanted to go but part of me was being realistic and realized I didn't have a REAL job – by real I mean not a work study job that is provided by financial aid – I was ready to mention it to my parents but realistically I would have to do this myself. My mom encouraged me to try my best and save up and she'd help out where she could. My dad agreed to lend me money when his tax return came in and I was so excited to try. I let time pass by and I was slowly realizing this was hard and I somehow talked myself out of it. I was not going to go, it was too expensive and my parents were still struggling. It was always in the back of my head and I thought about it constantly... what if.
I made really good friends with a classmate and we bonded over our design woes. We would joke about how much we needed a vacation and that this was it. I agreed and for a while even made myself believe it was happening but then again it was all talk, I wasn't saving. I didn't have a job and my parents were not an option. By this point I was really frustrated and a little jealous I would miss out on this opportunity. It was December and my professor’s travel group was small, 6 including him. My friend who had gotten a job, was slowing paying the trip and kept pressuring me to join. That it would be great she said. I told her I didn't have the money but I promised her I would try my best to get a job. I was filing applications left and right but no one would hire a teenager without experience.
I was now in the beginning of my sophomore year and in three months I get a call during class for an interview. I answered it and agreed to meet the following day. I was SO HAPPY I got a job! I was now officially employed and it was at my local movie theater! This was October btw, I was working like crazy. I had 32 hour weeks! I was getting paid every Friday and for myself I had a pretty ok income. My friend kept insisting I sign up for the trip and my mom made sure to tell me that at the rate I was going I could finish making the payments in no time. I was at the dentist office, I still remember, my mom pulled out the calculator app on her phone and proved to me it was totally possible. In fact, I would finish making payments and have money left over for myself along the way. This was around December and I was so excited to tell my friend, the moment she found out she couldn't wait to tell Ed, my professor, she wrote a note and slid it under his door! LOL So there it was. There was no backing out now. I went home that weekend; during a long homework sesh opened up the page and ... I did it. I signed up, paid the $295, I was now on the list and within 50 days I was to make a 500 dollar payment. Guess what... I gave a $2,000 payment and within 4 months I was done paying my trip and still had 3 months left to save.

The trip was to Barcelona, Southern France, Monaco, and parts of Italy. It was a trip set up by EF tours, which is a semi educational travel agency that basically sets up the whole trip and all you have to do is make the payments and all your museum and touristy things are paid including meals and transportation. Everything is booked! Honestly, this is probably the best option to get your feet wet. You don't have to struggle! It was fantastic.
June came and I quit my job and left to Europe. I night swam in Barcelona, drank wine during meals, had my first club experience, hauled a taxi, saw the moon rise out of the water, ate homemade pasta, visited a nude beach, re-enacted the cheetah girls at park guell, danced in the middle of a restaurant, dropped my jaw at the tower of pisa, got scammed at Pisa, chugged shots of espresso, ate macarons in FRANCE, pizza in ITALY, and paella in SPAIN. I would never trade this experience for anything. It was my first experience and I completely fell head over heels in love with stepping out of my comfort zone in places I’ve never been to before.

I’m not telling you that it was easy for me because it wasn’t, I had to struggle for half a year and save a lot of money. I made sacrifices and living with my parents was probably the reason I was able to do this. I’m not a full blown adult. I don’t have to pay bills but, that doesn’t mean that you can’t save a little every month. Trust me it goes a long way, every dollar counts.