Last year I attended my very first KickStarter Film Festival as part of an extra credit assignment for my art class. For those of you who don't know what the KickStarter Film Festival is I'll explain. It's basically a screening of short films successfully funded by KickStarter. It's the coolest thing ever because we get to watch the insanely good projects and ideas people brought to life!
This year it was a very different set up. It was held at Los Feliz 3, an old theater in the neighborhood of Los Feliz. That neighborhood is one of my favorites in LA because of all the old buildings and because it has Griffith Park so I was excited to go but I honestly expected it to be complete chaos because I didn't think they could fit over a thousand people in that theater. It's okay though because a thousand people didn't even show up. Maybe 20 people showed up. That's right. It was a very underwhelming turn out. I was truly surprised because I thought I was going to have to push my way through a crowd but there wasn't even a line to get in.
As surprising as the event turn out was I was happy to attend because the featured films looked very interesting! The first was Afronauts which is about the Zambia Space Academy hoping to beat America to the moon. It was a very odd story that was simply visually stunning. The second was What We Do In The Shadows which follows three vampires trying to survive the modern world. You must see this one! It was filmed as a documentary and it's quite frankly hilarious, I truly enjoyed watching it. There was a total of 5 short films/films being featured which was also a little odd since last year they had a lot more than that. I didn't get to stay to watch the other 3 features but if you'd like to check them out you could do so here.
Afterwards I explored a Skylight Books a bookstore (who knew those still existed, right?) that was right next door to the theater and ended up purchasing two postcards for my collection. I'm very excited about those because they have a hand drawn map of LA and the other of Hollywood. Okay, I'm done over sharing about my weird collection.
More soon,
Carolina
p.s. watch the trailer I swear it's funny