12.20.2013

S.I.D: Superman Is Dead by Shepard Fairey and Dennis Morris






On Friday night we went to the opening night of Superman Is Dead. The initials spelled S.I.D.-- as in Sid Vicious, the legendary bassist for the Sex Pistols. The show is by the popular visual artist Shepard Fairey in collaboration with photographer Dennis Morris. Oh, did I mention there was also a free show in the parking lot featuring Ritchie Love, a band assembled by the the Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones, with Billy Idol on vocals, Clem Burke from Blondie on drums and Leigh Gorman from Bow Wow Wow on bass.  The Sex Pistols + Fairey + art+ good music. Sounds bitchin, right? 
Wrong. Sort of. 

   Youtube // Bloglovin 

READ MORE FOR PICTURES & FULL DETAILS




Photo by Dennis Morris
Photo by Dennis Morris
Art by Shepard Fairey
Art by Shepard Fairey
A life -size replica of the destroyed hotel room 

Cindy Love street art outside of Subliminal Projects 
INVADER spotted on Subliminal Projects wall

We were extremely disappointed. It was the hype. The hype lead us to have very high expectation of Fairey and the entire exhibit in general. Don't get me wrong, the exhibit was cool but it didn't exactly wow  me. First of all the "life-size" replica of the hotel room, was the biggest disappointment of all. I was expecting to literally be able to walk into a room and feel as if It'd just happened-- not just walk around it. I guess in all practicality what I expected wasn't exactly possible, so that's my fault. Sheppard Fairey's art was also another questionable factor. His art was basically a recreation of Morris's photographs... They were awesome but I didn't think they'd be exactly like Morris's photos. I think I might be missing the point...nonetheless I have to admit that Fairey's work was amazing. His attention to detail and choice of  backgrounds seemed to really fit.  He projected Vicious and everything he was about correctly (in my opinion). However, I think Morris's photographs should be given more cred because they are absolutely amazing and are definitely worth admiring. 
If it hadn't been for all the hype Fairey's name brought to it maybe I wouldn't be as critical about it, my standards would've been much lower.  Whatever. I can't deny that I enjoyed myself and the art. 
Check it out for yourself!
Exhibition Dates: December 13 – January 11, 2014