6.01.2015

SUMMER FLICKS

Today I'd like to share the 5 movies I tend to re watch every summer.  I personally watch movies for two reasons, 1) the cinematography and 2) the style in which  it was filmed. I use movies as a main source of inspiration so I can appreciate when a cliche story is being told with different style. I think the movies below were able to do a good job with that. I'll give you a brief, probably not that great, summary and hopefully you'll make the right choice and watch all of them.
Also, be warned that all the movies have similar plots (you'll see) but I think each are fun to watch and contain something that makes them special.

1. TRES METROS SOBRE EL CIELO (THREE STEPS ABOVE HEAVEN)





 









           A bad boy that goes by H falls for Babi, a good girl. They fall in love. Typical, I know. The ending is pretty crazy though so it makes up for how typical the story line is. Honestly, I think this movie starts as one of those cute, romantic, cliche stories and then slaps you in the face in reality. This movie is real af . If you need more of H and Babi then don't fear because there is a second movie!! This is a Spanish film but if you don't understand Spanish don't let it stop you, just watch it with subtitles. I actually recommend subtitles anyway because they talk fast and tend to use Spanish lingo. If you're not that into the plot then watch it for the cool cinematography and superb camera angles.

2. TONIGHT YOU'RE MINE





















This movie is absolutely great because it has 3 things I love ; music festivals, cute boys, and cool shots throughout the film(like the one above). Basically, the guy and the girl don't get along and some random dude handcuffs them together and so they are forced to spend the rest of the night together. Somewhere along the way they fall in love. Typical, I know. But it contains cool music and the movie itself was actually filmed during the weekend of a real music festival in Europe so..ya tonknow,that's pretty cool too.

3. LOVE & OTHER DISASTERS









I watched this movie because I was obsessed with Brittany Murphy. I've watched every single one of her movies available on Netflix and this one is #2 on my list (Uptown Girls is #1). Brittany plays "Jacks" a British girl that grew up in the U.S but now lives in Europe which results in a funny accent. She works for British Vogue, has lovely friends that always meet for brunch, and she keeps sleeping with her ex-boyfriend because she's afraid of change. I'm not sure how to describe the way the plot is told/ the movie itself was edited...there was a lot of imaginary v.s reality scenes and self-irony . It's a funny story and you'll appreciate Brittany's outfits/style throughout the movie.

4. 500 DAYS OF SUMMER
















I feel like there isn't many people that haven't seen this movie. Can you believe I spent an entire summer watching this every night and not until the end of the year did it finally dawn on me that it really wasn't a love story (if you haven't watched it you won't understand just how stupid I was). Anyway, Summer (Zooey) and Tom (Joseph) start going out. Tom is, I guess, in love with her while Summer is unsure about her feelings. I think, just like Three Feet Above Heaven, this movie is a slap in the face and portrays a genuine love story (or a genuine not love story, I'm not sure. Depends on how you see it).

5. AQUAMARINE










This movie probably doesn't fit the same viewer age range as the ones above but nonetheless it's a must see. Alex and I used to build forts and watch this on my portable DVD player every Friday. It's about Hailey and Claire, best friends that will soon be separated due to Hailey moving to Australia. They encounter Aquamarine and decide to help her prove that love exists and in exchange she will give them one wish (which they plan on using to make Hailey's mom change her mom about the wish to Australia). It's an adorable movie full of friendship, a hopeful message and an absolutely necessary shopping montage!



If you watch any of these let me know if you like them or not!
Carolina

I don't own the images in this post